Our nest. Our news.

The Eagle Way

Our nest. Our news.

The Eagle Way

Our nest. Our news.

The Eagle Way

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Assist Leader Shyya Martinez Hopes to Lead Eagles to Playoffs

High Scoring Eagles Look for Wins with Seven Games Remaining
Hayden Foster
Shyya Martinez makes an easy layup for two fast break points vs. town rival Holy Family.

Shyya Martinez, Broomfield’s Senior starting point guard is leading not only the Broomfield Boys Basketball team in assists, but is leading 6a Front Range League with an average of 6.5 assists per game. This ranks Martinez tenth in the state.

Martinez was voted for 9 News Prep Rally Play of the Week on January 12, 2024 for a game winning 3-pointer against Mountain Range. “We had 7 seconds to get a shot off, I was in the right spot at the right time and my teammate got me the ball,” said Martinez.

Coach Terrance Dunn has been coaching Broomfield Boys Basketball team for 16 years and has seen a number of players and talent circulated throughout the team. “Shyya is a huge leader on our team… He is a tough kid, works hard and really steps up in difficult situations” said Coach Dunn.

Shyya has not only made a name on the court for Broomfield, but he has been excelling in the classroom as well, maintaining a GPA of 3.8.

Kicking off the season Broomfield Basketball had a winning record of 8-2, which has not happened since 2016. Broomfield currently holds a record of 10-5, including wins against rivals Holy Family, Horizon, and Mountain Range.

“We are scoring a ton of points, we’re scoring 70 points a game right now, which would put us in the top 10 all time in Broomfield history,” said Coach Dunn.

With seven games to go, the boys team (currently ranked 17th in the CHSAA RPI) looks to improve their ranking as they head into the postseason tournament.