XOXO, Grammar Girl

Picture your idol. In your eyes, this person can do no wrong and is virtually as close to perfection as any person can come. Now, imagine your idol actually acknowledging your existence, but not just acknowledging you, telling you what an inspiration you are to them. This became reality for Mrs. Binion thanks to AP Lang student, Piper Dumont (11).

Everyone that knows Mrs. Binion is aware of her love for The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl and author Mignon Fogarty. In the spirit of Christmas, Piper decided to reach out to Fogarty to let her know just how big of a fan her teacher is. So, back in November, Piper sent her an Instagram message in hopes of making a connection. “I messaged Grammar Girl on Instagram and I was like, ‘My teacher is really great and she cares about all her students … is there anyway you can help me get her a gift?’” Almost a month later she received a response. Fogarty was more than happy to send a gift to Mrs. Binion, and was inspired not only by Piper’s appreciation for her teacher, but also the influence that Mrs.Binion must have on her students. She compiled a box of exclusive Grammar Girl merchandise: two signed copies of the book, a card game, bookmarks, and a CD of all of her podcasts. Although, the icing on top was the handwritten Christmas card. “It’s still on my refrigerator and I’m keeping it forever,” confessed Mrs. Binion.

Piper went to great lengths to make her surprise gift a success. “According to Grammar Girl, Piper was determined,” Mrs. Binion revealed. Piper elaborated, explaining that it took about a month for the whole thing to come together, between the weeks of waiting for a response and the emails exchanged afterward coordinating the contents and delivery of the present. Nevertheless, all the trouble was well worth it in the end seeing that the gift brought Mrs. Binion to tears. “For me it was touching on a couple of levels. One, it was because it was from Grammar Girl and she’s just amazing, but then two, the more touching more important part, was that a student thought enough of me to go through those kinds of steps … I just thought it was incredibly touching that a kiddo would do that.” Mrs. Binion also acknowledged not only how this special gift impacted her, but how it impacted Piper. She said she was very appreciative that Fogarty “honored a student’s wishes” and hoped that Piper felt empowered by her successful effort to make a connection. “Why not just ask?” Piper nochanlanty stated, justifying that there is no harm in trying.  

“I thought it was cool that Grammar Girl did that for Piper. I thought it was wonderful that Piper did that for me, and then I thought that it was very lovely that Grammar Girl did that for me as well,” expressed Mrs. Binion. Piper gave Mrs. Binion the gift of recognition by one of her personal heroes, but more importantly she gave her the gift of appreciation. Teachers have the amazing ability to make lasting impressions on their students; how can you show your teachers they are appreciated? (Bonus points if you can make them cry too.)