In Broomfield, Lightning Rarely Strikes…But Eagles Always Fly High

Chad Croell, Social Media Editor

One Friday a year, everybody in the city and county of Broomfield knows that the Legacy vs. Broomfield football game is about to begin. There is a special feeling that comes with a rivalry this intense, this meaningful. The butterflies in everyone’s stomachs are flying around wildly. Students in class have troubles focusing because they are daydreaming about their team winning the game and the prestigious Mayor’s Cup. This game means that one of the best rivalries in the entire state is about to begin. Noah Dohm, senior football captain, said, “It seems as though the whole town is watching and living and dying with every play.” Dohm has not had much success against our rivaling school in his high school career, but he hopes to beat them in the upcoming basketball season now that the opportunity has passed for football.

"Nathan Lehnerz (13) of Broomfield, beats Sam Threatt, of Legacy, for a TD catch. For more photos, go to www.dailycamera.com. Cliff Grassmick Staff Photographer September 4, 2015 "
Nathan Lehnerz (13) of Broomfield

Although most of the attention is directed towards football, the basketball team is beginning to develop a fierce rivalry with Legacy. Every game since the rivalry’s first match-up has proven to be a barn burner, always coming down to the last few minutes, or even seconds. The last two years have been incredibly close match-ups, but we have come up short. The crowds were electric at last year’s game and can only get better with the competitiveness and similarity in talent between the squads. Head Coach Terrence Dunn, said “We want to be able to  wear our Broomfield gear around town and know we are representing the best.” Dunn has a desire to beat who he refers to as “the L-School” because he looks at the rivalry as a pride game. The games against Legacy receive so much hype that both sides almost seem afraid to lose, and this brings out the absolute best in both teams.

Soccer is a sport that, for whatever reason, does not draw as large of a crowd as the football or basketball programs except when we play against Legacy.  For the Legacy game, there is always a nearly-full student section. On the boys’ side of things, in the words of coach Jim Davidson, “We have not  put much stake into the Legacy rivalry on the boys side because Legacy hasn’t historically had a great team.”  With the girls’ team, however, it is a different story. “Their girls’ team is very good, and most games will be very tight.” Davidson believes that the boys’ game will be a bit more important this year due to our recent loss to rival Mountain Range. “Every game from here on will prove to be important,” Davidson said.

These athletes have been playing with and against each other for their whole live. Cal Lively, a junior, perhaps the epitome of Eagle spirit, said, “I was supposed to go to Legacy, so that just makes me want to beat them that much more.” All Broomfield sports and activities have the mentality to beat our cross-town rival. Senior basketball player Breyton Briggs open-enrolled to be an Eagle because “I liked my friends here at Broomfield and wanted to be at school with my sister. I also really enjoyed the guys that play [basketball] here much more.” Even though he still has his friends at Legacy, this does not mean that Briggs does not want to beat them whenever he gets the chance.  

“This rivalry can only get bigger and better,” Mrs. Orvis, Broomfield’s heart and soul, said. “We have had fierce rivalries in the past with Centaurus, Longmont, and Monarch. [Centaurus] used to send us black roses on game day and even graffiti us from time to time. They were a big school and very strong in athletics for a time,” Orvis said. She has been here through thick and thin and she knows that Legacy is proving to be our biggest rival yet.