Too Close to Home

At around 4:00 pm last Thursday afternoon (September 27), a Denver homicide suspect driving a white SUV crashed into innocent commuters in a blue SUV on Midway and Sheridan Blvd.

State trooper vehicle holding crime scene tape, blocking off the intersection of Midway and Sheridan.

Maya Oakley

Maya Oakley, Staff Writer

Both cars were undrivable following the crash; however, no one was harmed.

The suspect bolted, abandoning the woman in his car and leaving his Nike slides in the street.

He attempted to carjack another vehicle while starting a shoot-off with Denver Police.

One officer was shot in the neck, but the suspect was killed.

The officer is recovering at Good Samaritan Medical Center in Lafayette.

Within a half hour of the accident, the sidewalks were full of cameras, reporters, and curious civilians.

Everyone seemed to be shocked that something so severe could happen in Broomfield of all places.

KUSA/NBC Channel 9 reporter Jennifer Meckles and her team rushed to investigate the scene after they received an email transcription of a police radio announcing that an officer was shot.

Meckles recalled that the last time she was working in Broomfield was when parts from a plane engine fell into the front lawns of Broomfield residents.

Police car parked in the middle of Sheridan Blvd. in front of a rainbow.

One man came to the scene wielding a bag full of cold Gatorades to offer investigators, and another walked down from his daughter’s soccer practice at Country Vista Park a few hundred meters away from the remnants of the tragedy.

Two other civilians came all the way from Aurora to investigate, recording the scene to post on social media.

The multiple moving parts of the investigation made it challenging for investigators, and it will likely be days before all of the information regarding the suspect, the car involved in the accident, and the car that was attempted to be stolen are made public.

Meckles said that she spoke to a bystander who saw a child run out of the blue SUV. At first, she was told that no children were in the car, but it was later confirmed that two children were in the car and survived with minimal injuries.

Many students use Midway and Sheridan to get to and from school every day. As a result, many people’s drive home from school was interrupted.

Sasha Bruner (‘23) was giving Katie Craft (‘24) a ride home from auditions for the upcoming play Puffs.

A drive that would typically take around five minutes took almost a half hour.

“I Kept getting lost,” said Bruner.

Rhea Belanger (‘24) lives in the neighborhood just west of the scene on Midway. “I turned into my neighborhood and I saw a bunch of police and fire trucks,” said Belanger.

Fortunately, the street was open when she was going home, but she was told that her neighbors had to tell the police that they lived there to get home.

After part of Midway reopened, Rhea’s neighborhood became a detour route.

For hours, the regular Midway and Sherridan traffic weaved through the streets of Highland Park and Country Vista neighborhoods.

Fortunately for commuters, both streets were open at 11:31 pm.

For more, visit 9 News: Denver police officer recovering after Broomfield shooting that left 1 dead