A Look Into a COVID Basketball Season

Now that Season A of the 2020-21 CHSAA sports year has come to a close, what’s next?

Trent Finnegan, Staff Writer

Thanksgiving break and colder temperatures usually indicate that the high school basketball season is right around the corner, but in a year filled with uncertainty, that is not the case.

The week before Thanksgiving is usually the start of the winter season, but this year, basketball and a few other sports won’t be starting until the New Year. Despite the wait, some returning Eagles are excited for the start of the season.

“In a year where so much has been taken away from us, getting the chance to play basketball and compete is a blessing,” said Justin Spencer, a returning Senior who is stepping into a large leadership role this season. “Basketball has given me the only sense of normalcy in a year where nothing is normal, and I couldn’t be happier I get one more season to go out and compete.”
Despite the restrictions put in place in the Broomfield area with local gyms being closed and limited team interaction, Spencer has still found ways to sharpen his skills during the offseason.

“I’ve been able to get a good sum of work in, whether it be limited offseason workouts, or just going out to the park and getting shots up.” Coming off the school’s first Sweet 16 appearance since moving up to Class 5A, Spencer is aspiring to lead his team to the ultimate goal, hoisting the trophy at the end of the season.

Another returning senior, Kevin McMahon, can’t wait to be back on the court in the blue and white. “[The delayed start has] been bitter sweet. There’s been times where I get flashbacks, and I’ve really been sad that we are not able to be together and be able to play in front of crowds; although, at the same time we still have a season, and we need to be thankful for that even if it is shorter.”

McMahon will also be taking on a larger leadership role this year for a Broomfield team that graduated six seniors that accounted for almost 78% of the team’s total minutes played last season. He and Spencer are the two leading returning scorers, and their experience will be essential out on the floor this season in order to help their teammates.

On December 7th, CHSAA had to further delay the start of the basketball season due to statewide restrictions, which now puts the first day of practice on January 25th (This is subject to change, but it is the plan for the time being). Even though this is yet another frustrating bump in the road, this allows the players more time to improve on their craft before the season. Whether it has been at the local park or in a club league, Spencer and McMahon haven’t been taking any time off in order to get better, and the opportunity to keep preparing for the season during this extended offseason could be the shining light in this otherwise negative news.