Girls Swimming Finishes 6th at State Competition

Hampton Traylor, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday and Wednesday, the BHS girls swim team competed at the 4A state swim and dive championships.

The 11 swimmers who competed placed 6th overall in 4A championships. On top of that, the 200 medley, 200 and 400 free relay’s all made finals and finished in the top 10.

Kaylee Austin, 10, Rebecca Thompson, 12, Mairead Powers, 11 and Maelynn Higgins, 9 made up the 400 free relay, which broke the team record with a time of 3:34.46 in the finals in which the team finished the event in 3rd place.

Aside from the weeks of practice and swim meets, the team prepped in a few ways.

“We just told ourselves that we were capable of getting it” says Mairead Powers, who has been swimming since she was 3 years old and had a personal time of 52.89 seconds in the 400 free. “We all had good meets leading up to it, so we all knew we could do it.”

Freshman, Maelynn Higgins, swam an individual time 54.61 seconds in the 400 relay. Higgins was picked for the 400 relay by her coach, who chooses the fastest and most competitive lineup for state relays.

“In the future I would like to place top 10 in my individual events at state and continue placing top 10 in relays at state.” says Higgins, a swimmer since she was 7.

Congratulations to the relay team as well as the whole Broomfield Girls Swim team!