Broomfield Wrestling Finishes Second at Regionals

The wrestlers pose for a photo after completing this weekend’s regional tournament in 2nd place.

Andy Johnson, Staff Writer

Broomfield Wrestling took second at this year’s regional tournament, propelling the team into this weekend’s State Championship with confidence. The regional tournament, hosted by Broomfield for the second time in three years, yielded fourteen individual champions, and for Broomfield, eight state qualifiers, seven who became regional champions.
The biggest story of the weekend came from Ryan Vigil, Broomfield’s 126 pound sophomore, as he claimed his first regional title after a heartbreaking finish last year.

Vigil’s freshman year, he went into the postseason as the top ranked 106 pounder, but unfortunately missed weight at regionals, finding himself disqualified and not able to prove himself as the most dominant wrestler in the state.
Back with a vengeance this year, Vigil entered the regional tournament as the number three ranked wrestler at 126. He met one of his season’s toughest tests in his semifinal match against number two ranked Cody Thompson from Loveland.
Going into the third period, Vigil found himself down 4-1, suffering a cut over his right eye that would’ve rivaled a boxer’s. Vigil battled back, earning a hard fought escape and takedown to tie the match 4-4. With three seconds left, Vigil put Thompson to his back to take the lead 7-4, getting a spot in the finals, and more importantly, a spot at the state tournament.
“It was always in the back of my mind, thinking about what I lost last season,” said Vigil. “Everything I did today was about making up for that.”
Broomfield enters the state tournament ranked fourth, hopeful that they will be able to take home the first state title since 2014.