Lil’ Poms

Lil+Poms

Avery Schmidt, Staff Writer

Girls and Boys from ages 3-13 have the opportunity to dance with the Broomfield High School Poms team at the Lil’ Poms clinic this Friday, January 24.

Lil’ Poms is a way that the Poms program does outreach to the community as they have dancers join them for a night to see what the Poms program and the eagle nation is like.

“My favorite part is watching the joy on the faces of the kids as they learn the routine and get to perform it at halftime of the game,” Carrie said. The girls also love taking part in this and giving back to the Broomfield community.

This clinic is also a tremendous fundraising opportunity for the Poms team in order to help the varsity members get to Orlando, Florida, where they can compete in nationals. “We make about $3000 from the clinic,” says the head coach of the Poms team, Carrie Nitchoff, “we are so grateful to have this opportunity.”

Many children who attend the Lil’ Poms clinic have parents who work at the school. This gives the team an opportunity to showcase the Poms program not only to the school and Broomfield parents but also to the staff.

Varsity Pom member, Mia Gallegos, explains why this program is one of her favorite events of the season. “It’s so much fun to see how excited the kids are to just be able to hang out with us,” she said. “I feel like we are like role models for all of them.”

Last year there were over 80 participants, and this year they are expecting even more kids to attend.
The theme for this year’s dance is “Aladdin”, so the kids will be dancing to the songs “Prince Ali” and “Friend Like Me” at the girl’s basketball game at 6:30 on Friday.