Travels Orchestra Concert: Unintentional, Underrated, but Undeniably Good

Kylie Wood, Staff Writer

BHS orchestra began the year with an unintentionally travel-themed concert on October 16th in the auditorium. 

Ms. Beri, the director for all three orchestras, also teaches orchestra throughout the district. 

Ms. Beri explained the concert was not intended to have a theme: “It just ended up being almost like travels. It’s like I’m having a little travel log concert, but not purposefully. They’re just the pieces that I liked.” 

Many are unaware that the three-orchestra system is actually new. Last year, and in years past, there were two orchestras: symphony and philharmonic, where symphony was an audition-in orchestra. Ms. Beri recently made the change due to the large number of students in her philharmonic orchestra, which was close to 60. 

“This year I’m really happy with being able to split into three orchestras; I feel like we’ve had less challenges this year. This year has gone very smoothly and very easily,” said Beri. 

In years past, the orchestra barely fit on the stage, and there weren’t enough cellos for cellists, who don’t bring their own instruments, to use. The intent of the change was to reduce challenges presented by their large size, which, according to Ms. Beri, has worked. 

However, Beri explained they’re still facing challenges, “Preparation on solos, and being able to understand that playing solo is different than playing with a group and being able to project and play loudly.” 

This concert’s soloists are Sophie Jones, 12, in chamber, Gabby Moeller, 11, Jake Kinzie, 10, Sadie Martinez, 9, Emily Duren, 10, in symphony, and Ani Burchard, 9, in philharmonic. 

The concert itself went well for the soloists and the orchestras. Sophie Jones, first chair violinist in chamber and soloist, described the chamber portion as “Pretty good.” While a seemingly lackluster response to their performance, it should be noted that chamber plays the hardest pieces of any of the three orchestras, and the members are usually more aware when something goes wrong than the audience. “The beginning of ‘Emerald Falcon’ was the best part,” she also commented, “and the beginning of ‘Brooke Green Suite’ was the worst part.”

Gretta Stoltenberg, 10, symphony violinist, also called their portion “Pretty good.” However, several audience members went out of their way to comment that the symphony orchestra played fantastically that night. “‘Elasticity’ [is my favorite song], the sound is so colorful!” Stoltenberg said. 

As Ms. Beri noted, orchestra as a whole has worked in three separate groups since the beginning of this year on different songs, which were performed during their first concert of the year. The three orchestras are chamber, symphony, and philharmonic. Chamber performed “Emerald Falcon” and “Brook Green Suite” (a collection of three smaller movements). Symphony played “Folk Songs of Israel,” also a collection of smaller movements, “Ahlan Sbaya Alfarah,” and “Elasticity.” philharmonic’s songs included “In a French Garden” and “Spirit of the American West.” 

Orchestra has several other concerts throughout the year– including a winter Holiday Concert on the 10th of December, one on March 10th showcasing their competition songs, and a Pops concert May 11th. Other events include their annual CHSAA competition, a duck race fundraiser at Broomfield Days, and a chocolate sale fundraiser in February. Orchestra is not allowed to sell chocolate during the day due to district policy, but will sell chocolate bars of varying flavor outside school hours. Chocolate can be purchased in February from nearly any orchestra student.