The Eagle Way

Womxn Are Cool

Back to Article
Back to Article

Womxn Are Cool

Erin Fuller, Staff Writer

People of all ethnicities, races, genders, sexualities, ages, and religions gathered together at Denver’s Civic Park.  They clumped together, not caring who they stand or sit next to, with all attention drawn to the stage, waiting to hear more inspiring people speak up. Booths show off cool t-shirts and pins, exclaiming loud arguments and prideful words of common sense. Everything is so…right.

The Womxn’s March on Denver was last Saturday, and it was my first time attending it. The “e” in “Women’s” was changed to an “x” to broaden equity for trans, non-binary, and gender-queer individuals. Earlier last year in March, I attended the March For Our Lives for gun control, and the Womxn’s March had the same positive energy and vibes emitting from it. Young people, students, and kids played a huge role during march, speaking during the pre-rally and leading chants while marching around the capitol. People told their story and why they’re marching. Everyone stood or sat quietly to listen and erupted with cheers or boos when the speaker paused for a breath from their passionate concerns. Everyone there is the kind of people I strive to be: strong, pursuing, and a spokesperson for common decency.

When the March began, I grabbed Isa Lovato’s (11) hand and walked. As I looked around, I saw kids, little boys even, holding up signs and leading demanding shouts. “Hey hey! Ho ho! Donald Trump has gotta go!” “Show me what equality looks like! This is what equality looks like!” We all want the same thing: rights for all, no matter the gender. My childhood experience was not like this. I grew up knowing nothing about the government. I only knew simple laws, like stop at red lights, don’t steal things, don’t hurt anyone. I never knew or even heard of things that are going on today. Now these kids understand what gun control is, how unfair and cruel women are treated, and how gender can stand on a spectrum.

They’re taking a stand for what’s right. If that’s not liberating, I don’t know what is.

Erin Fuller, Staff Writer

Erin Fuller is a sophomore at BHS. This is her first year in newspaper, and she is excited to be a part of a new community. Erin is also involved with...