Eagles: We be Clubbin’

Caption: Stella Olsen (10) and Juliana Brady (9) enjoying eating lunch and crocheting in Mrs. Binion’s room.

Alexus Deines, Editor

Every year, Broomfield High School holds an activity fair for the Freshmen. Piling into the Wilkerson and Eagle gym, the eaglets learn about Broomfield High’s clubs. Leaders and members of the clubs teach the freshmen about what their group does and times of the meets.

Broomfield has a lot of diversity when it comes to finding the club of one’s interest. There is Chess, Astronomy, Book Club, and even a Maker’s Club. More popular and well-known clubs are FBLA, NHS, and Crochet. All these clubs show how to build character and learn how to handle responsibility.

Crochet has rapidly grown over the past few years. It all started with a student who noticed Crochet’s inspiration, Mrs. Binion, crocheting during a test. This student then came up with the idea to make Crochet for a Cause. Ever since then, the club has its fair share of bonding experiences.

The primary goal of this club is to make crocheted blankets, scarves, hats, etc… for people in need or charity organizations. Last year, Crochet made plastic bag sleeping mats for a homeless shelter so the residents had something better to sleep on than the ground. During the Christmas season, the club made scarves and hats and tied them to posts in Denver for anyone that needed warm gear for winter. One year, the Crochet club made blankets for a Chinese orphanage two members had been adopted from. Each year, the club seems to grow a little more with eager or curious crocheters. Together, students work hard to help others and learn how helping people not only does good for others, but for themselves as well.  

A lesser club is Broomfield’s small Book Club. The group of bookworms have attended a large, national book con called YALSA and smaller cons held at libraries, shops, or schools. They have had lunches with published authors and attend any library sale they can find. Every meet is essentially a time for bonding over books and for the members to become a close-knit web of friends.  

Every spring, the district holds a competition called Battle of the Books. The group meets at a host school to compete. Before the competition, the Book Club has to read at least ten books off the list given to them by the founders of BoB. The day of the competition, different book clubs from participating schools are asked detailed questions relating to each book and the members must answer the questions correctly to win the trophy.  

No matter the club, whether it be for bonding over interests and making new friends, or building up character and doing good for the world, clubs hold importance in Broomfield High School that allow students new experiences and once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. It is encouraged that students join as many clubs as they can to have a richer experience at Broomfield High and make memories to last lifetimes.