Where Did My Money Go?

The Aftermath of Prom Night

Where Did My Money Go?

Gianni Martinez, Staff Writer

The shoes, the suit, the dresses, the tickets, the dinner, this list can continue on and on for what is to be bought for prom every year. Prom is an amazing time of the school year, but is it worth spending a lot of money on an event that lasts one night? In my opinion, I don’t think it is. Before prom every year, I’ve had money and then…I became an official broke person, with no money to spend for food, and now have to freeload off my parents to buy a simple hot n’ spicy at McDonald’s. Life is splendid.

Furthermore, the clothes are just the first step to spending money for an event that is literally the exact same as homecoming, but instead of wearing a simple dress shirt, shoes and pants, you have to buy a coat as well, which is at least another 60 dollars depending on the one you buy. Girls spend an average of at least 150 dollars or more just on a dress itself. Also, add in the makeup they have to buy and the heels that climb to at least another 50 dollars and increasing.

Next up, the dinner. This can play out two ways: go cheap or go expensive. Going cheap is probably the easier route to take. Obviously, you save money and most of the time you don’t have to make reservations. Going expensive means you spend a lot of money on food that will soon come out of you and the reservations could turn into a hassle. So to be honest, Chick-fil-a sounds like a great option.

Nowadays, kids will spend an average of around 300 to 400 dollars on prom. A lot of times, guys spend 15 to 20 dollars on the promposal and at least 20 dollars on the ticket. To me, this is kind of excessive. If only the price of everything wasn’t so expensive and overpriced.

Overall, prom is a great time for most people (including me), I just don’t enjoy the cost of the everything for one night. Students want to save their personal savings to use it on themselves for their everyday life. I only wish that prom wasn’t so expensive so I could continue with my life with at least a dollar in my pocket.