Help is There When You Need It

Sidney Poulsen, Staff Writer

I was washing my hands in the women’s restroom when I saw a poster that read: “NHS Tutoring: Monday-Friday 5th, 6th, 7th period in the library”. For some reason, despite being a well rounded student who has good grades, this poster stuck with me. I had been struggling in advanced chemistry my first semester of Junior year (really I had an 89 percent, but I hadn’t wrapped my head around the concepts we were learning) and I considered going during my seventh period, which I have off, but I couldn’t get myself to go. Instead, I stressed, had many sleepless nights, and found myself in tears for the next month upon the arrival of finals. Going into my chemistry final, I knew I wouldn’t get the grade I wanted. The grade I wanted, I wouldn’t have deserved. When grades were in and finalized, I wasn’t surprised  when I saw  I basically failed my chem final. Thank God most finals are only worth between 10-20 percent of your grade–but that’s not the point I want to make.

Getting help can be scary and intimidating. Some may even believe that it won’t help. That shouldn’t prevent someone from getting that help they may need. I think people have embedded into their brains that there is no one or nothing out there for them or no one else who is struggling just like them. But the truth is, the majority of people are facing many of the same things as everyone else around them.

In my community, I know there are several activities to get involved in, trusting adults you can talk to, and supportive students and friends. Broomfield High School offers various sports, clubs, and class courses all of which involve bonding and bringing everyone closer together.

It is great knowing there are options available to us;  no one should ever feel as if they don’t have the option of getting help,  you are responsible for yourself and getting the help you need. Many find themselves stuck, but haven’t acknowledged  they are the ones that got themselves there. Me failing to seek help when I was struggling in chemistry was my fault. I can’t expect my teachers, who see hundreds of kids everyday, to know I need help. Asking for help is the hardest and scary part, but once you do, you will feel relief and thank yourself.