Objection – Legal Eagles Sentenced to State Championship

Jack Vanderberg, Staff Writer

This past Friday and Saturday, February 9th and 10th, the Broomfield High School Mock Trial Teams (a.k.a. “The Legal Eagles”) competed at the Mock Trial Regional Tournament, and one of the teams are headed to the State Championships for the second year in a row. Both teams, Broomfield Silver and Broomfield Blue, woke up at the crack of dawn both days to drive through a snowstorm to the Adams County Courthouse and compete. Broomfield Blue put on some spectacular trials on either side of this year’s case, but fell just short of qualification. Broomfield Silver went up against some tough competition, but they proved tougher. Not only did they knock off the Holy Family team, who has qualified nearly every year before this year, but they placed first at the competition. Awards were given out for “Outstanding Witness” and “Outstanding Attorney”, and a large majority of those awards went to Broomfield. On Broomfield Blue, Izzy Anderson stayed focused on her questioning and earned an “Outstanding Attorney” award, and Spencer Robinson displayed his incredible acting capabilities at the stand and rightly won an “Outstanding Attorney” award. On the qualifying team, first-year competitor Maia Parkin surprised all of the courtrooms and displayed some amazing examinations, winning an “Outstanding Attorney” award. “It was all so fun, and I love the people in it,” she says. “It was so much work, but it honestly paid off. Even if we didn’t qualify it still would’ve been worth it and it was such a good experience for me. I learned so much about thinking on my feet and also what I want to be. Our coaches were great and made it really fun.” Also on the qualifying team,  Margrit Mackey made history. She not only earned an “Outstanding Attorney” award, but she also earned an “Outstanding Witness” award, being only the second person ever to earn both awards in the same tournament in that tournament’s history. On top of all of these awards, the Broomfield team as a whole won the Professionalism Award, demonstrating “great performance and great sportsmanship to all teams throughout the competition to keep an official yet fun and fair experience for all teams.” Congratulations to Sam Hahn, Kevin Peacock, Ellie Penner, Calissa Hagen, Maia Parkin, Margrit Mackey, and Jana Compesi for qualifying, and best of luck at the State Championship next month!