Broomfield Ultimate Frisbee State Champions

Gianni Martinez, Staff Writer

In the fall 2017 season, multiple sports have strived through their seasons to accomplish one ultimate goal–to become state champions. Just after a remarkable game of soccer to win state the Ultimate Frisbee team followed that same path to win state and to become champions. Junior, Olivia Belton was one of many players on the team that was very excited for their accomplishment. “I think it is really cool! This is my first season playing frisbee and to have one state for the first year, I thought it was really fun and exciting,” said Belton.  

In order to win state the team had to undergo a long, hard, two day tournament over a weekend of playing frisbee. There were about six total teams within their division and fifteen teams total in the tournament. This was no easy road to glory as there were multiple emotions coming in play. “Before our games I was like really nervous especially during our last game because we have a whole tournament and then the last game was really exciting and very nerve wracking,” said Belton. Despite the emotions, Olivia Belton explained how there was a really good overall energy going around and how each and every team there was excited to play and to be there in general.

With all the emotions and spirit of the team escalating over those two days captains Trevor James, James tatum and Sam Sovereign had to lead their team of twenty-five student-athletes from multiple schools to the championship final. Once there, they knew they had to play their best game limit their mistakes throughout the whole course of the game. With that, they had won the match and in that moment of glory–they had become the Ultimate Frisbee State Champions!

This Thursday, December 7th, the team will be honored at the state champions assembly along with the boys soccer team. Congrats Frisbee on a successful season!