How We Change Throughout High School – Freshman

Daulton Logan, Staff Writer

Part I: Freshmen, you’re changing, whether you realize it or not.

Freshmen year can be a tough transition. For some, the switch from middle school to high school is an incredibly difficult challenge. Hundreds of kids roam the halls, teachers expect more out of their students, and this is when everything counts: grades, athletics, extracurriculars, etc. The first semester is often a wake up call for most. However, when the second semester rolls around, most freshmen have their feet under them and are ready to get off to a good start. After winter break, the freshmen student body can take collective sigh of relief and hit the ground running. As new friendships begin and ninth graders start to create their own identity, the second semester breathes new life.

The first semester for freshmen is a huge change to what they are used to, and Mr. Garner, a teacher of four freshmen English classes, noted this, “The first semester [of] freshmen year, they are obviously just trying to get their feet on the ground, learning the school and trying to get comfortable. Some are nervous and some are fine, there’s a wide variety.” The first semester for freshmen is more or less like a learning curve. Once the second semester rolls around, Mr. Garner “feels like once they get into the second semester, they are definitely getting more comfortable and they’re really, this may sound kind of funny, they’re figuring out who they are in the high school.” The comfort piece has quite an effect on students. Once they settle in and figure out the routine, school oftentimes becomes much less of a burden.

From the eyes of freshman Cailin Mindoro, the second semester is time for “reflecting on how well or poor their grades were after the first semester.”  Most people make adjustments so that they can change bad habits and do better semester. Mindoro also noticed that “people are more relaxed about grades and high school in general and [we’re] finding [our] place in the school.”

For some ninth graders, the second semester serves as a wake up call and for others it is a chance to hone in on their good study habits and keep up the good work.

Next week: Sophomores – No longer the bottom of the totem pole: Greater Freedom = Greater Responsibility