The student news site of Broomfield High School

The Eagle Way

Athlete Of The Week: Michael Georgiton

Daulton Logan, Staff Writer

This week’s athlete of the week is Michael Georgiton, a junior guard/forward for the varsity basketball team. Also known as Big Mike, he had a phenomenal performance against cross-town rivals Mountain Range. Going into the game, Mountain Range had been enjoying nice form as they were on a winning streak. The Eagles, however, had other plans.

A starter for coach Terrence Dunn, Big Mike is a versatile player in both offense and defense. While being able to drive hard to the post he can also shoot beyond the arc and dish out assists like no other. Mike–who had eleven points, three rebounds, three assists, and one steal–proved to be a pivotal player in Friday’s game.

Despite a good win, the Eagles were dealt a heavy blow when junior, Devin Martinez, went up for a dunk and was undercut, coming down hard on his wrist. Knowing how vital Devin Martinez is to the team, Mike noted, “With Devin being out, it’s critical that we do the small things. Everyone has done a good job filling their roles and picking up a bigger workload than they’re used to in order to fill his spot.”

On top of being a stud for the basketball team, Mike also dabbles with soccer. This year he made the varsity soccer team for the first time. Playing two sports, both at varsity levels, is tough, especially when it comes to balancing schedules. Mike prefers basketball over soccer though and shared a little insight, “I enjoyed the bonds I made with my soccer teammates, but I play basketball year round and would say that I am better at basketball.” He also hopes to play collegiately in the future but knows his education is important and that must come first.