The Eagles of Broomfield: AJ Barrowcliff

Emily DiGregorio, Staff Writer

aj-b

“My neighbor across the street was renovating his porch one summer. I was wearing flip flops when I went over to see how it was going. My dad told me that I could help and handed me the sledgehammer. He told me to go bust down one of the fences of the front porch. So, I grabbed the sledgehammer and was just about ready to hit the fence off when my neighbor was on the other side, pulling on it to try and get it loose. He pulled it right out of the wall! There was this nail that was so rusty and sharp and it came flying at me and scraped right across my foot. It hurt! Every time I walked little droplets of blood would form a pool and bounce right off of my foot, leaving marks everywhere I went. But luckily I wasn’t injured that badly. I could show you the scar but I am wearing socks and sneakers right now which makes it difficult to see. To say the least, it was a very messy day. There’s another injury I got with my thumb, but that one is a little more embarrassing.

Oh geeze. I shouldn’t have told you that.

Oh well, I will tell you the story anyway. It was during one of those times where it was an open house entry at Jam, here at the high school. One of the inflatables had a huge ball pit so I was like, ‘Hey, let’s go inside and throw some dodgeballs around.’ This one kid threw a dodgeball at me and I tried to deflect it with my hand, but the ball pressed against my thumb in a painful way. It felt kind of bad like I pulled a muscle or something. The next morning I woke up and my thumb was twice the size of my other one. I got it checked out by a doctor and it turned out that I actually got a little hairline fracture on my bone. I had to have a cast on it for a week or so, which sucked because I couldn’t play my video games one handed. Another difficult part was actually showering because I had to have a huge glove on over my cast so it would not get wet and smelly. So that was not one of my fun moments of life either.”