What Keeps You Up At Night?

Mercedes Trujillo, Staff Writer

What keeps you up at night- image

Some people have the uncanny ability to fall asleep the second their head hits the pillow. Unfortunately, others toss and turn until the crack of dawn with thoughts racing through their minds, keeping them from getting barely any sleep. Social media, texting and homework keep a lot of students up until 2 a.m. these days, but what are the thoughts that keep students from falling asleep?   

Stress is definitely one of the largest factors when it comes to staying up late. After taking a school-wide poll, 119 out of 132 students claimed that they stayed up late at night thinking about what stressed them out. Getting good grades, deciding what college to go to, and trying to manage their social life were just some of the many responses as to why students could not fall asleep.

A few of the other thoughts that keep students up late were how they could manage doing homework and working two jobs, how to deal with their depression, what their future will be like, if their past decisions will affect their life now or later, and what happens after you die. These thoughts can send any mind on a spiral; students will roll over and see the clock only to realize they have to get up soon and they got almost no sleep.

Even I can attest to not being able to fall asleep for many reasons. Sometimes I get so stressed out from just laying in bed and not being able to fall asleep that I actually decide to get up and do something productive instead. I know that eventually I will get tired from reading or doing more homework and I will fall asleep.

But what are some of the ways other students try to stop their wandering minds so they can catch a few winks? Well, music is the most common answer. Other responses were watching tv, drinking tea, counting down from 100, thinking of simpler things, writing, using reverse psychology by trying to stay awake, and also going outside for fresh air and a quick walk (which I would not recommend mainly because it does not sound very safe. I would suggest open the window to get some fresh air and walk around your room a couple of times instead because it gives a similar effect).

Every brain is different and each person has from 50,000 to 70,000 thoughts every day but, when it comes to not being able to fall asleep, we are all in the same boat. Going to sleep should not be added to person’s long list of why they are stressed out because many people use sleep as a way to deal with their stress. Letting your head hit the pillow should be the stress reliever that you have been looking forward to all day.