In Memory of Sadie Hawkins

Kaitlin Coleman, Staff Writer

This past weekend marked the death of one of the long-lived traditions at Broomfield High School. Exactly one year ago on Sunday, was the day of the last winter dance that our seniors, and possibly juniors, will ever see. I hate to break it to you, Broomfield, but there will not be a winter dance this year.

After distributing a poll throughout the depths of BHS social media, I found that over 66 percent of students did not attend the Sadie Hawkins Dance last year. According to Caroline Long, a student council representative, only a total of about one hundred people showed up to the dance, including student council. Even with ticket prices of $10, the dance lost money.

kaittt

Student Council has made this decision because of the lack of turnout during the past few years. They spend countless hours of planning and investing into the dance and simply cannot afford it if no one comes.

But wait, after further analysis, I found that over 84 percent of students said that they would attend a school dance this year. Of which, 32 percent of students said that they would want to attend a Sadie Hawkins Dance and 43 percent of students said that they would want to attend a winter formal of some sort. Broomfield, do you want a winter dance or not?

One more piece that completed my hypothesis over this search was that 33 percent of students said that their favorite part of school dances was that they get to dress up. Going to an after-party came in runner-up with a close 28 percent. After many days of belaboring calculations, analysis, experiments, manipulations, and scientific methods, I finally concluded that what students here at Broomfield like to do is party and look good doing it.

Is Sadie Hawkins not enough of a party? Perhaps a look back in time would help us see more of a pattern: About five years ago, Broomfield faced the same problem we are staring straight at this year. The Sadie Hawkins dance was no longer attracting enough students’ attention and Student Council issued the same brief hiatus as they have now and took a year off. The next year, Student Council resurrected Sadie Hawkins and students were thrilled. That year was the highest attendance that the Sadie Hawkins dance had ever had.

Although Sadie’s is not as formal and fancy as homecoming and prom, perhaps some time away from the event will allow us to appreciate its simplistic nature. In the meantime, Student Council is planning to host a carnival/field day event toward the end of the year. The plans are rough, but they hope to have things like food trucks, ziplining, and bubble soccer.

However, by next winter, we may find ourselves missing our beloved Sadie Hawkins or winter dance. Broomfield, Student Council can pull off almost anything we desire in a flawless nature. It’s ultimately up to us to make those things worthwhile.