Becoming a Champion: A Personal Decision

Cassidy Wilson, Staff Writer

The journey begins at an early age, with oversized tee shirts and oranges at halftime. There is possibly a coach who suspects his kid will become the next Messi and his mom organizing the snack schedule. Those who go beyond the amusing team names and Umbro shorts find soccer is more than a childhood memory; instead it becomes years of bruises, wins, losses, and work.

FullSizeRender (3)

Broomfield is known for excelling in athletics, and the boys soccer team is no exception. Going into 5A last year, most people had their doubts about Broomfield’s ability to hold this prestigious title, but boys soccer easily established the dominant spot. But beyond high school sports, students of Broomfield excel in their club sports. Although many factors surround the topic of becoming a champion, one crucial component is this: “Who is more important in the development of a championship-caliber player, the coach or the player?”

Justin Hamm, a center defender for the varsity team, is no exception when it comes to winning. Last year, Hamm played a vital role in the state championship game and continues to impact the team this year. Hamm is passionate about soccer, and it was prevalent how much the sport meant to him. He said his improvement comes from continually trying harder in practice. Regarding coaches, he said, “Our coaches have taught me how to play with more control, patience, and passion on the field. They bring that mentality to get better everyday, which becomes contagious for myself and for the rest of the team. I wouldn’t be the same player without our coaches.” To Hamm, the coaches play a role in the development of himself and others as a player. “I feel like they both come hand in hand. It’s up to the player to make the decision to work hard and try to improve, but you couldn’t do it without the extra experience, knowledge, and skill set that our coaches bring. They help you strive farther than you could probably do by yourself, but it’s only you who can make that decision to become better.”

Matt Kintzle also talked about his experience playing soccer throughout the years. He currently plays for Rush, but does not play for the high school’s team. Kintzle’s decision to stick with club rather than play high school came from his competitive drive. Kintzle said, “To me, club is more competitive and dependent on the player.” Over the years, Kintzle has developed into an elite player and continues to work for improvement by practicing up to 12 hours in a normal week. While he credits the coaches to some extent, he believes skill comes from the individual player’s determination. Kintzle said, “I think coaches are there to teach, but in the long run, it’s what the player does more than anyone else.”

Becoming a winner takes more than skill, practices, and even a coach’s mentorship. It is a series of steps driven by determination and a love for the game. Coaches can impact the player, they can improve the player, but the key aspect relies on the player; the willingness to put forth the effort. This is what separates a first place team from a second place team; it is what separates Broomfield from the rest.