Small Group, Big Impact

Joshua Hicks, Staff Writer

“The goal is to try to get everybody proud of our school, and to be involved in our school.”

This is a quote given by Mrs. Long when asked what student council brought to BHS. This goal has shown to be the most important component of the whole student council, with more BHS students showing their school spirit and being involved in student council run events and activities than ever before.

Mrs. long, the advising teacher of student council, has been able to revive the essence of a strong, leading student council, through her own ideals of what a student council needs. She said, “We try to come up with different events that will reach different kinds of kids.” This being one of the biggest contributors towards the larger outcome of school spirit and event participation, Mrs. Long and her student council members have proven themselves able to overcome the challenge of getting all different types of BHS students to get themselves involved.

Mrs. Long sees student council as more than just a group who does a few activities for the school and says what she thinks is most important. “The most important part is realizing that what we are doing is not for ourselves, but more for the school and for the community.”  

The Student Council tree
The Student Council tree

The student council organizes many events and activities to help give the school a more energetic and involved student body. Along with their efforts towards school related projects, they do many community service projects, which helps lead to, not only a better and more appealing school, but a better and cleaner town as well. Although a small group of students and one teacher in one small classroom, Student Council has an influence and effect that goes beyond the walls of the classroom and even beyond BHS.

Starting from an even smaller group of kids, the student council in years past struggled to create events that were well organized and attended widely. Luckily for BHS, Mrs. Long and her current student council members have helped evolve the program into a well known group that is, as Mrs. Long puts it, “making a name for themselves.”

Student council does come with a lot of planning and preparation at times, so why has it been able to still gain students? It is because the student council does not only work hard, but they play hard, with things such as team building and a student council retreat. While these things may seem like just fun, Mrs. Long has deemed them necessary to creating a stronger and closer student council team.

Mrs. Long has been able to create a strong student council with many talented and experienced members, one of which being Maiya Mindoro, one of the student council presidents. Students in student council not only help the community but help improve themselves as well as Maiya says, ”It’s made me grow a lot as a leader.” Which has shown to be the case for many of the student council members.

Student council is a place where the people who seek to be strong leaders are able to exercise and help strengthen their own leadership.Maiya explains how student council has helped her and what she loved most about it, “I really just like the people in student council. The activities are super fun, but the relationships you get to make with people are even better.” Maiya’s comment shows an example that the student council of BHS is able to work well cohesively and enjoy working with one another.

Maiya has a very good sense of what student council brings to BHS,

“It just brings fun and togetherness.”

Her idea relates a lot to Mrs Long’s idea in the sense that student council makes BHS a closer and more unified student body through participation of the projects made by student council.

Thanks to student council in these recent years, Broomfield High School has become more of a united student body than ever before. As long as student council and all the Eagles of Broomfield are able to keep Eagle Spirit thriving, BHS will continue to be the close knit community that it is.