Best Buddies Friendship Walk

Members of the Best Buddies chapter at BHS attended an annual walk for inclusion.

Rachel Lutz, Staff Writer

Best Buddies is an international organization that works with schools to create chapters (along with other programs). In these chapters, non ILC students are paired with students in the ILC class who have intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. The way each chapter participates is different, and at BHS, each buddy pair eats together once a week during lunch.

The lunches as well as chapter activities and meet-ups outside of school allow buddies to bond and form good friendships. It also helps ILC students to learn what healthy friendships look like. This is Broomfield’s first year as a Best Buddies Chapter (which is led by Ms. Grayson), though there was previously something similar, known as Circle of Friends.

Typically the individual school chapters arrange group get togethers and activities, but the Best Buddies Friendship walk was for everyone. The organization invites chapters from all over the state to participate in a short walk for inclusion. This past Sunday (the 7th), members of the Broomfield High Best Buddies Chapter showed up, along with many others, at Washington Park to participate in the raffle, arts and crafts (making a cool tile with a stencil of the logo), and of course, the walk.

The walk was a one-mile lap around the lake in the center of the park. It was in celebration of inclusion as well as continuing to raise awareness. At the end, there were more festivities and then awards. There were awards for most people registered, biggest chapter, and more, Broomfield even won Rookie Chapter of the Year!

It was an amazing experience for the chapter, and they can not wait to return next year, hopefully with more participants from our community,