Broomfield Basketball Beats Legacy

Broomfield Beats Legacy on the Road in the 2023 Cross Town Rivalry Basketball Game

Carson Orvis, Editor-in-Chief

Recap
After not playing one another in football this year, the basketball game between Broomfield and Legacy had higher stakes.

Going into the matchup, both teams had started out their respective seasons well, each multiple games over .500.

Legacy was ranked higher in the standings, but Broomfield came ready to play.

Coming out of the gate, the rivalry game nerves were apparent, especially for the home team. Legacy couldn’t get any sort of offense going and quickly found themselves down 9-0 early.
Ethan Zufall (‘25), among others, played a role in the quick start for the Eagles. However, Legacy was able to slow the Eagles down before the end of the first quarter and cut the lead to six going into the second.

The second quarter was a lot more of the same in terms of scoring. The sloppy basketball continued, and Broomfield was able to win the quarter 12-9. The Eagles went into half up 26-17.
Everyone knew that both offenses would struggle early, as both teams came out with intensity on defense. While it wasn’t pretty, it was an ideal first half for Broomfield.

The second half was completely different. The game finally started to slow down and each side found a way to get into their offense.

The third quarter was back-and-forth the whole time. Legacy would make a small comeback, Broomfield would extend the lead, and then Legacy would go on another small scoring run.

The Lightning put up a huge 20 point quarter, and with the Broomfield lead at only six, it was clear that the game was going to come down to the very end.

The scoring continued in the fourth quarter. Multiple times, it felt like Legacy had the momentum, but just when the Eagles needed to most, they hit big three pointers to kill the Lightning’s rhythm.

Bryce Spralding (‘23), Legacy’s best player, started to come alive in the fourth quarter, but it wasn’t enough. As the clock neared zero, Legacy was forced to send Broomfield to the line, and the Eagles were able to convert their free throws and win 61-53.

Player Spotlights

Broomfield came into this game as the underdog. Winning in Legacy’s gym is never easy, but multiple players for the Eagles made big-time plays to win this game.

The key factor that led to Broomfield’s victory was three point shooting. The Eagles hit nine threes to the Lightning’s two.

Leading the way in that category for Broomfield was Senior Derek Duplechin. Duplechin scored 13 points on 4/5 shooting from three point range.

Duplechin’s shots went much further than padding his stats. He knocked down threes just when Broomfield needed them.

When Legacy started to come back, he made big, contested shots that sucked the life out of the home side. He also hit the shot that sealed the deal late in the fourth quarter.

Sophomore Ethan Zufall was the other Eagle to convert on multiple three point attempts, hitting one early to get Broomfield’s momentum going and another big one later in the game.

Joey Cook (‘25) was another underclassman who had a nice game. He went for an efficient nine points, converting four times inside the paint and knocking down his only free throw.

This win against Legacy was a big one for the Eagles. They have now won back-to-back games, and have started to find a rhythm on offense to pair with an intense defense.

Broomfield’s next opponent will be a good Rocky Mountain team, who is 8-5 and has won five of its last six.

The Eagles are trending upwards, and it should be an exciting second half of the season.