Broomfield’s Senior Pranks

In its long history, Broomfield High’s senior pranks have been some to remember.

Ashtyn Trujillo, Staff Writer

“My seniors know how to push the envelope just enough, but not over the edge,” said Principal Ramsey.

The annual tradition provides an opportunity for seniors to say a creative farewell to the school. Knowing the school spirit at Broomfield High, these pranks have always been memorable.

Although seniors aren’t required to get approval, and often don’t, there are a couple of ground rules that the prank must abide by: 1) It cannot hurt people or the property. 2) It can’t be malicious. Aside from these, seniors are free to do whatever they please.

And they have

From ping-pong balls to baby oil, past seniors have definitely left their marks.

“A funny one was the ping-pong balls,” said Ramsey. “The first year we had the 1100 hallway, they [seniors] dropped a ton of ping pong balls down the balcony. But, they had bought the cheap ping pong balls, so they didn’t bounce. They just dropped.”

As a reminder of this prank, Ramsey keeps a basket of these ping pong balls on her office windowsill.

Even though Mrs.Ramsey doesn’t officially approve of this tradition, she said that the senior pranks have (almost) always managed to make her laugh.

“One year, they did the senior prank over winter break and they blocked all the doors with snow because they wanted a snow day,” Ramsey explained. “Unfortunately, the district came and cleaned all the doors before school started.”

“I think that was the funniest,” Ramsey said. “As soon as they did it, they waved and said, ‘Hi, Mrs. Ramsey,’ so I knew exactly who did it.”

Broomfield’s pranks didn’t stop at ping pong balls and snow, they went further.

“They got everything, like the hurdles and jumping mats and they blocked the senior parking lot,” said Mr. Burgesser. “But then they actually hung the soccer goals over the football goalposts. It was a good one.”

Even though seniors have come up with some amazing goodbyes to the school, there’s one iconic prank that every interviewed teacher mentioned. The baby oil.

For students that don’t know, the stairs leading into the cafeteria used to be a ramp. Because the ramp was too steep, it was replaced by stairs. But before they were replaced, seniors saw the opportunity and took it.

“One year, they poured oil all the way from the start [top] of the ramp to the very end, almost into the math hall,” said Mr.Croell. “Everyone was slipping and falling. That one was definitely good.”

Even with all these unforgettable pranks, we know that whatever the 2023 seniors decide to do, it will be memorable.