Broomfield Wins Big in the Season Opener

In a Highly Anticipated Playoff Rematch, Broomfield Handles Longmont in Week One.

Angel Hernandez Galindo

In his first varsity start, Kaelan Frey (’23) scores his third touchdown of the night in the 47-14 winning season opener versus Longmont.

Carson Orvis, Sports Editor

Recap

High school football has finally returned, and Broomfield is already off to a much better start than last year (1-0). A great all-around team performance led the Eagles to a 47-14 win over Longmont (a team they lost to last season, twice).

It didn’t take long for Broomfield to take control. After the defense made a stop on Longmont’s opening possession, Cole LaCrue (‘23) and the Eagle offense made quick work of the
Trojan defense. Broomfield drove down the field and LaCrue hit Kaelan Frey (‘23) on a tipped pass to open the scoring.

With a 6-0 lead, LaCrue and Frey quickly connected again in the endzone. The two seniors stretched the lead to 12, still early in the first quarter.

From there on out, it was all Broomfield.

Garrett Keeler (‘23) scooped a fumble to set up the offense in good field position, resulting in seven more points for the Eagles.

Longmont was then able to find the endzone, making the score 19-6. However, their defense couldn’t slow down Broomfield’s offense.

Once again, LaCrue marched right down the field and connected with Frey in the endzone for their third touchdown of the night.

Broomfield led 26-6 at halftime.

With a 20 point lead, Broomfield looked to their ground game, and couldn’t be stopped. Luke Francis (‘23) and Ryland Boehmer (‘23) continued to pour it on the Trojans through the run game, combining for 4 TDs on the night.

Longmont would only find the endzone once more, against Broomfield’s JV squad, as the game ended in a 33-point Broomfield victory.

Analysis

Broomfield did exactly what they wanted to do in this game: make a statement. The offense was efficient, and the defense brought the physicality.

Cole LaCrue picked up where he left off last year, making plays both on the ground and through the air, but the rest of the offense were new faces for the Eagles.

Kaelan Frey, in his first varsity start, found the endzone three times. And, Luke Francis and Ryland Boehmer were a solid change-of-pace one-two punch.

Broomfield’s success on defense started up front with seniors Devin Furuiye, Garrett Keeler, and Holden Potter winning the line of scrimmage all night. Behind them, linebackers Noah Biller (‘24), Nick Petrich (‘23), and Ryland Boehmer consistently made plays, including an interception by Biller.

In the secondary, Canon Juarez (‘23), Brent Harris (‘24), Mikhail Benner (‘25), and Gio Toledo (‘25) didn’t let Longmont do anything down the field.

This was a great way to start the year for Broomfield. The amount of physicality the Eagles brought made the statement that they are ready to compete at the top of 4A.

Next week (9/2), the Eagles host Holy Family, and look to put up another dominating win.