Engineering Destruction & Becoming the BEST

The BHS Engineering Club Crushes the Competition and Earns Major Wins at the November BEST Competition.

An+engineering+club+member+prepares+the+teams+robot+before+the+Head-to-Head+competition.+

An engineering club member prepares the team’s robot before the Head-to-Head competition.

Will Dennis, Staff Writer

There’s one place where the most innovative minds come together: Engineering Club. This team has faced many challenges in the past, but recently they’ve skyrocketed to the top. Despite their recent success, their accolades didn’t come without some stress-filled moments.

The Broomfield High School engineering team is one of the most well-attended clubs around the school. Every year this club competes in the Rocky Mountain BEST (Boosting Engineering Science & Technology) Robotics Competition. Even though BHS has participated in this competition since its inception, our team has never advanced to the semifinals.

This year, that all changed.

In November’s competition, the Eagle’s engineering team earned the 1st Place BEST Award (the highest honor in the all around competition) and 1st Place in the Critical Design Review Presentation.

They also came 3rd Place in the Head-to-Head game, where the robots they constructed battled against each other to attempt to break other teams’ robots. Megan Marrs, 11, said the Head-to-Head game was the most stressful part of the competition for her: “It was really nerve racking to watch our robot slowly break against the other teams.”

Despite never making it past the semifinals before, the Broomfield team made it to the final round and placed 3rd overall. This is the team’s first year competing for the BEST award. In the past, they have only competed in the Head-to-Head Robot Competition, whereas the BEST award incorporates marketing and design. They competed against 17 other teams during the competition.

Due to this outstanding performance, the Broomfield team will be competing in the Denver BEST Regional Competition in December. This competition will be against twenty-five teams from 8 regions and 6 states. It will take place on December 11th-12th at the Arapahoe County Fairgrounds. Marrs can’t wait to “hopefully win” this next competition.

Although the club hasn’t collected much recognition in the past, the Broomfield High School engineering team accomplished a lot at this recent competition and deserve much praise. They look forward to their further success as this Regional Competition comes closer. No matter what challenges they face, there is nothing these minds can’t overcome.