The Eagles of Broomfield: Oliver Yang

Katherine Lopez, Staff Writer

ollie

Oliver Taiying Yang, a 16 year old, is a Junior here at BHS. He says that his initials spell out T.O.Y, and clearly, it’s true. “Who is someone you look up to,” a question that often gets asked. Oliver’s response was,“When I look around [and] I don’t see anyone to look up to, I look at me”. Oliver is a really independent person who likes to look at himself and think about how he could be a better person. To many people, Oliver is just another student here at Broomfield. But I noticed that he is not just any student; he is always present. For the past two years, Oliver has been the person who “holds” the doors open for people to get to where they have to be.You can catch him doing this when we have assemblies, the beginning of school, and even when school is over. Oliver says he opens the doors for people, to be helpful.

Noticing people with different skills is an easy task. Oliver has the ability to run fast. What he had to say was that there were a few teachers who noticed that he was a fast runner and they had suggested for him to join the track team. Oliver said that track was not his thing because he felt that it didn’t fit into his character; he is someone who is more focused into his school work: “I don’t want to be someone who people expect me to be.” When he was asked what he felt about this generation, he responded by saying that he felt our generation was pretty solid and he felt like a piece of tape or glue that brought people together he felt like a “magnet”. He wants other people to know that he can be a role model for the school and that anyone can be a role model too. In the future. Oliver would like to go to Metropolitan State University when he graduates. He would like to be a doctor or nurse because he feels that those jobs require people who are caring, are helpful, and are kind. Just like him.