How To Cope With Your Senior Friends Leaving

Annabelle Gallegos, Web Editor/Staff Writer

Coping with the class of 2016 leaving our sides this week will be something many of us will have a hard time doing. Eagle Flight is one of the most emotional events for teachers and students. This senior class has given us great memories,stories, support, and role models to look up to. Before we even try to carry on the legacy of the class of 2016, learning to cope and survive with our final days with our friends will be vital to keeping it together.

1. It’s important that you go to all of the graduation parties youre invited to whether you’re really close with them or not. So, go to all of the grad parties and be sure to hug everyone at least once because you never know when you’ll see them again.
  2. Think ahead, don’t wear white. The smudges and streaks of black mascara that runs off of your friends faces won’t be worth wearing your prettiest white shirt.
  3. The best way to fake that you’re not a complete wreck is to just not wear makeup at all. Go prepared.
  4. Avoid hugging anyone will dangly earrings that might snag on your shirt. Trust me.
  5. Assure your friends that you’ll stay in touch. Moving to a new state or away from home for college will be intimidating for your friends their first year. Get their address’ and send letters and care packages to prolong your bond.
  6. Spend as much time that you can over the summer and on their college breaks. Seeing them for a few hours will make you feel better about the limited time you have with them.
  7. Have really good jokes prepared to tell at parties to lighten the mood and prevent any tears.
  8. Just pretend like they aren’t even moving miles and miles away.
  9. Remind yourself that there’s always facetime.
  10. Befriend their parents so you can still be friends with their dogs while they go away to college. This will make your friends jealous and want to come home more often.

It’s inevitable that you’ll be nostalgic and sad as summer comes around as your friends leave you for college but the best way to cope is to always be thankful for the memories you were given from your senior friends. Be happy for them, as they are off to better things in their lives, and look forward to making the best of your senior year. Every year is a smaller fraction of your life, days get shorter and times will move by faster as you approach adulthood yourself so enjoy your last year as a highschooler.