A New BHS

Josh Hicks, Staff Writer

Excitement has sparked in Broomfield High School students as word has spread about the new additions and improvements to be made to many different parts of the school. Tearing down walls, repaving the senior parking lot, and a new field house for our sports teams are just a few of the dozens of renovations taking place at BHS over the next few years. Changes will be made over the next two years, mostly taking place during the summer. Summer 2017 will include renovations to the math and science hallways, auditorium, the band hallway, weight room, and the P.E. lockers. The goal in the math and science hallways is to improve the lighting and finally take the students and staff out of the darkness that looms throughout those hallways. Some of the older parts of the school such as the weight room, P.E. lockers, and band hallway will be renovated as well. A lot of these renovations include things such as new double-paned windows, new paint on the trim and the walls, new tiles in the ceilings, and again better lighting. While these new developments may not change the routine of the daily student by much, the new security system surely will! Students will have chip readers in their usual BHS I.D. cards and they will be able to use these to buzz into the building at several different doors throughout the building. This will improve security of the building as well as ensure students can make it inside the building whenever they need to throughout the day. The improvements are definitely an excitement but there is a great challenge that comes along with it. Almost every item in the classrooms of the science wing must be moved into the Wilkerson gym to be stored so that room can be made for all of the construction. This adds some extra work and perhaps stress for the teachers who reside in this wing, but after all the hard work and stress is out of the way, the lucky staff will get to enjoy their new and improved hallways and classrooms.

Following this crazy summer of renovations, another addition of new baseball dugouts will be made in the fall of 2017 that will surely make those sluggers smile. Students will get to enjoy the new parts of the school for the next few months until January 2018 when they start up again. The renovations are for sports players once again and will include a new field house built where the concession stand is now, a new Wilkerson gym floor, and four additional tennis courts along with the repair of the existing ones. By replacing the concession stand with a field house, our soccer and football players will no longer have to walk all the way up to the school during the long breaks before and after games but can instead be right down next to the field, ready for action. Along with the new field house, a new scoreboard will be put up as well. Finally, the last of the changes coming to BHS will take place in the summer of 2018. The library will be remodeled and the cafeteria will be seeing some big changes as well. The ramp and the wall dividing it from the cafeteria will be torn out, expanding the cafeteria and avoiding major traffic jams from students walking from class to class during passing periods. And of course, there will be a remodeling of the senior lot. No more potholes will make senior year a smoother ride as it has been so rough and bumpy for years. The next few years will hold a lot of hard work and change for Broomfield High School, but the changes to come will be worth it in the end.