Legalization of Physician Assisted Suicide

Emily DiGregorio, Staff Writer

Colorado voters had the opportunity to take a stance on Proposition 106 this past election. The proposition would legalize the practice of a physician’s medical aid in dying.

This issue is an important topic of discussion and is suitable for the student body to be exposed to due to the foreseeable circumstance that our nation will be confronted with this moral dilemma again. It is inevitable that we are all going to die; the only difference is when and how.

Our moral rights and freedoms as Americans include the choice to do what we want to do with our lives as long as it exposes no harm to others. Physician Assisted Suicide (PAS) is the process when a doctor assists a terminally ill patient with solutions that result in ending a patient’s life. This law is illegal in 44 states. There are two sides to this debate, both with important views: 1) having the freedom and ability to be in control of one’s fate, and 2) preserving the human life even in its final state.

Point: Yes to PAS

People who are in favor of legalizing Physician Assisted Suicide interpreted the language and rationality of this law as part of our basic freedoms and inalienable rights.

“The legalization of PAS will benefit incurable individuals who believe that they are physically, emotionally, and financially draining to the people in their life due to their illness.”

People who are terminally ill must struggle to watch their family members suffer in hardship for something that cannot be healed. Some may find that the most inhuman way to remove the remorse of their loved ones would be to put an end to their own life. With the aid of a physician it is honorable for a person to keep their dignity by putting an end to their sufferings brought on by terminal illness. Devastation comes with watching a loved one become diagnosed with a terminal illness, but the fact is a terminal illness can cost a person their life savings. If they choose to die rather than utilize their life savings, they should have the opportunity to do so. People who choose PAS typically prefer that their money go to their loved ones versus inflated medical costs; however, it is difficult to put a price tag on a human life. When we love someone we would spend our last penny on them for a few more seconds of life.

Counterpoint: No to PAS

The contrast to the argument stated above must be rationalized as well. People believe in protecting the human life and are opposed to the legalization of PAS.

“It is still outlawed and considered immoral throughout the world because it is considered a premature death, against religious beliefs, and is in violation of the Hippocratic Oath.”

People who are diagnosed with a terminal illness could be misdiagnosed and end their life prematurely without knowing what could have been. Additionally, there is still the opportunity to have a full and happy life with the terminal illness that is not considered at the beginning of being diagnosed. In many religions PAS is immoral and can be recognized as suicide. It is viewed as diminishing the divinity of life and can be looked upon as a sin. PAS holds as a promise of restriction bound by physicians to Hippocratic Oath. A physician’s education is based upon saving a human life at all costs. It places an ethical dilemma on a doctor when they are asked to aid in someone’s suicide. The oath cherishes life; therefore, authorization to end one’s life for the satisfaction of the patient does not make killing right.  

There are two important views to discuss when debating the morality and ethics of Physician Assisted Suicide, the right and freedom to control one’s life and the moral right of preserving the human life. People who understand and accept their fate voluntarily ask physicians to assist them with death because they are suffering. These patients do not want their family to go through the pain of watching their loved one wither away. Furthermore, they do not want to spend their life savings on something they know cannot be fixed. People who believe in preserving the human life understand this to be morally wrong. Ending one’s life purposefully is causing a premature death, going against certain religious beliefs, and is opposed to the Hippocratic Oath of physicians. Losing a loved one to a terminal illness will always be painful and devastating, but will the legalization of Physicians Assisted Suicide make things peaceful?