The Eagles of Broomfield: Annemarie Abeyta

Tori Holton, Staff Writer

In October of 2015, Annemarie tore her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) when a girl pulled her to the ground by the back of her shirt, while playing an intense game of Annemarie’s favorite sport: basketball. Annemarie then traded in her basketball shoes for a pair of crutches when in the following month she had to get surgery to replace her damaged ACL. The surgery involved taking out her patellar tendon to make up a fake anterior cruciate ligament, which will hopefully make do for as long as possible. Missing her first high school basketball season at Broomfield High, Annemarie was devastated. But instead of being negative and sitting in her bed all day after school, Annemarie decided to be proactive and help manage the girls varsity team. She watched and cheered her best friends on from the sidelines. Almost done with recovery, Annemarie was going to one of her physical therapy appointments, when tragedy struck. While at physical therapy, she tripped and fell, partially tearing her ACL again. Due to her fall, Annemarie had to go back into surgery where the doctors had to fix up all the tearing pieces. This delayed Annmarie’s recover by several months, making her still unable to play basketball. With lots of patience, determination, and courage, on September 6th, almost one whole year later after Annemarie tore her ACL for the first time, she is finally cleared to play her favorite sport again. With the basketball season just around the corner, Annemarie has her hopes set to make varsity and instead of cheering on her best friends, playing with them.