Broomfield Mourns Peak to Peak Cross Country Runner, Brandon Ries

Nina Hartley, Staff Writer

img_4383

On September 16, Brandon Ries, a senior at Peak to Peak Charter School, collapsed on the course while competing in the Broomfield Invitational 5K cross country meet at County Commons Park. He was rushed to the hospital and his family was with him when he passed away. With deepest sincerity, the hearts of Broomfield High School students, staff, and in particular BHS cross country runners and coaches, go out to Ries’ family and the Peak to Peak community.

Ries, 18, was an all-around good guy according to his friends and the staff at Peak to Peak Charter School. Brandon was co-captain of his cross country team and involved in his school and community in a variety of ways. The classic scholar/athlete, he was an incredible student, excelling in science and jazz trumpet, in particular. In interviews for The Daily Camera, his friends and teachers said that he was a driven, caring, and genuinely kind student.

The Peak to Peak community has come together in mourning, and held a special service in memory of Ries on Saturday morning at their school. Students, staff, and community members, alike, shared fond memories of Brandon and consoled each other. In the wake of this tragedy, the entire Broomfield cross country team wrote messages to the family and friends of Ries, and signed a poster that will be delivered to Peak to Peak Charter School. Coach Greg Weich has also committed to renaming the Broomfield Invitational Cross Country Meet to the “Brandon Ries Memorial Meet.”