Likes on Likes on Likes

Maci Triezenberg, Staff Writer

Seemingly, our self esteems are as fragile as the screens of our cell phones. Look around, nearly everyone is cracked.

Social medias can bolster or deflate our moods, but at the same time they are platforms which we use to connect ourselves with other people almost nonstop throughout the day.

Nowadays, kids are too worried about the perfect feed. When it comes to social medias and the way we let others view us, it can often mess with us and make our self esteems go down.  

Social media is used to show the journeys we take and to follow other people’s journeys. We follow people to see what they are up to and to see what life-changing steps they are taking. At times, it can get taken too far with what people post and with what people are willing to do to get attention on social media.

Kelara Madani, a sophomore, said, “Often times I feel like some people forget that the whole world can view what they post.” For some people, the photographs they post on social medias are for them to get positive feedback and keep their self esteem high, while in some cases this is disturbing. For example, revealing photos, pictures of people engaging in less-than-scholarly activities, or even those photos that are photoshopped to the max all aim at acquiring positive feedback. But, what’s the emotional cost of these risks? Often, a short rise in self esteem is followed by a sharp drop.

Sophomore Delaney Dominico said, “If I only get a low amount of likes, I know that it’s a bad photo.” Like Delaney, if I post and receive few likesMT2, I think to myself, “Um, friends? Are you out there? Why isn’t anyone acknowledging me?” Thoughts like this do not make any of us feel very good.

Some people have the opposite take on social medias and why they post. “I care about my own opinion over others. I post a picture because I like it. I didn’t post it for other’s approval or likes of others,” said Kelara. She explained how she likes to post her journeys and share with her friends what she is up to and the cool adventures she has taken in life.

Social media should be used to show off where we have been and the appreciation to the world and people around us. When we post a picture the likes should not matter; some people understand that and do not care what people think about what they are posting. “Sometimes I’m like, why didn’t this picture get as many likes as that one? But then I’m like, ‘It doesn’t matter. I like this picture,’” said junior Evelynn Cousey.

“It’s nice getting likes to know its a good picture, but it doesn’t really affect how I feel,” said sophomore Emma Wacasey. Even though the amount of likes we get can make us feel a little bit better about ourselves, we still should understand that the amount of likes we receive on a picture shouldn’t determine whether or not the picture should be posted or not; or, more importantly, how we feel about ourselves.