The Eagle is Back and Soaring!

Kaitlin Coleman, Staff Writer

Dreams fill our heads every night as we sleep in a fantasy parallel to the reality we face when we awaken. But how often is it that we are able to achieve those counterparts in reality? As much as we envision what the future has in store, it is not enough to only wish these things. Instead, finding the support and putting in the effort is key to making dreams become a reality.

This is a story of a girl who had the opportunity to make her high school dream come true. Anna Jager, a student in Mrs. Kloeckner’s Circle of Friends program, took a huge step that not only fulfilled her dream but better involved her in the high school community. Circle of Friends is a program that allows the students at Broomfield to spend time with the special needs students who also attend Broomfield. As only a sophomore, Anna was able to redefine her limits and start to carve a path through her high school experience. Being the sweet and outgoing girl she is, Anna dreamed of the day she could put on her beloved Eagle costume and become the new face of Broomfield High School: the Eagle mascot.

It all began last fall during Anna’s freshman year. Anna had previously been the school mascot for her middle school, BHMS, and the very first thing she asked when she entered high school was whether she could have a chance to be the Eagle mascot.  I was able to spend quality time with Anna this year and last during my participation in Circle of Friends. I remember Anna talking about how much she wanted to be the Eagle mascot. “It was my dream,” she said. “That was the best dream of my life.”

Eventually, Charlene Orvis caught wind of Anna’s big dream. However, there was one problem. The original Eagle costume was ruined over the summer due to a mice infestation. This was no setback for Anna. According to her mother, Susan Jager, “that was all she asked for Christmas last year!” And sure enough, Anna received her one wish: a customized Eagle costume.

It would be up to Mrs. Kloeckner to take the next step. After approving the fact with Mrs. Orvis and the athletic crew in the main office, Mrs. Kloeckner began to brainstorm ideas. They would need to get creative. There were limited opportunities in the spring following the purchase of her costume, so it seemed more reasonable to wait until the following fall when the school would be exploding with school spirit during the football and homecoming season.

As fall rolled around, a range of new opportunities arose, and Mrs. Kloeckner was quick to snatch them up. “I work closely with student council, Jill Long and Maya [Mindoro], one of our leaders, so we kind of brainstormed what we could do to get our kids more involved. So, they invited us to join them at the parade. Then I thought: ‘Well, what if she’s the Eagle at the parade?’” With Mrs. Long’s approval, and the Broomfield Day Parade just around the corner, the Eagle mascot was reborn. “Anna loved it. Everybody loved it. They loved her. It was just a big hit. It was like a dream come true for her.” Mrs. Kloekner said.

With Anna’s first venture a complete success, Mrs. Kloeckner began to think of ways to get her more involved in activities within the school. “At that point I asked Jasmine, who’s the head of cheer, if she could join in some way,” Mrs. Kloekner said. With the warm welcome of the cheer team, Anna would assist them in bringing the football team out during the early season. With another endeavour under her belt, Anna was determined to take on the full responsibilities of the Eagle mascot for the homecoming game. Mrs. Kloeckner said, “We got her and the cheerleaders together, and I think they even practiced a few little cheers, and then she was part of the homecoming game. She stayed on the field the whole time. I don’t know that she sat at all. I think she was fully with them.”

“I was so proud of her. She was full of spirit, and brought energy back into our student body. I hope to see her again in the future.” Lauryn Munson said.

Anyone at the homecoming game could say that Anna was an extraordinary Eagle. Mercedes Trujillo, a junior at Broomfield, who witnessed Anna and her performance at the homecoming football game and who is also a part of Circle of Friends, said, “She was very enthusiastic and had school spirit that was contagious. I think it’s really great that they were able to let Anna be the mascot because it helps her to be more involved with activities that don’t happen just during the school day.” Even other students like junior Caelan Denley, who was not as familiar with Anna or the Eagle mascot, said, “They were very engaged in the game and got everyone excited. It was really great to have the Eagle there.”

Despite the setbacks, Anna’s optimism and enthusiasm led her to achieve and establish the vision she had for herself and for her role in the school community. Not only did the efforts of Anna and her parents make this possible but the entire BHS community. If not for the staff, who graciously allowed Anna to participate in some of their endeavors, and if not for the student body, who opened up their hearts and minds in support of this girl, her dream would have remained only a dream…

“Somewhere in there I think we’re all, like, ‘Wow, how cool how someone in our program can have an opportunity like this because we all need opportunities.’ […] We are all here. We all have dreams. We all have passions. We all need to pursue things and not just let things fall in our lap but do something,” Mrs. Kloekner said.

Through this experience, students have not only embraced Anna into the school community but considered her to be an inspiration to us when in pursuit of our own dreams. Her bravery, determination, optimism, and enthusiasm in this endeavor remind us to take our opportunities and “buy our own Eagle costume” if that is our dream.